We interrupt CHD awareness week and the neverending activity of Ryan's diaper changes (or as I call them: "BIG POOPS") for the continuing saga of our summer VacaSean.
Day 4 brought another sunny day, or as those four chaps from Liverpool phrased it: "Good Day Son Sean!"
We got back in the car and drove east, first stopping in Prineville, where they were giving away Twinkies that were near their expiration date (who knew they could expire?)!
Want a bite?
We continued to the Sheep Rock Unit of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, where there was a fossil museum (not pictured), a rock that looked like a sheep (not pictured, since it didn't really resemble a sheep), Picture Gorge (not pictured), and a Lava Monster (actually a gopher snake)!
To escape this Lava Monster, we got back in the car and drove to Mitchell, and the Painted Hills Unit of the Monument - on the way we saw the sole remains of many who failed to escape the Lava Monster:
Soon we arrived at the Painted Hills:
I was a bit disappointed they wouldn't let us actually paint on the hills (I know I could do better than the original artist):
I was prepared to stomp off with my minion,
But he stopped to enjoy the landscape:
He told me I was crazy to leave so quickly,
...so I stopped to take in the landscape and realized the original artist wasn't so bad:
So we stayed and posed for a few pictures:
I think we add a little je ne sais quoi to the hills:
Wouldn't you agree?
One section of the unit lets you get close to the pretty dirt: Close enough to see how parched and fragile the earth is:
We walked around a boardwalk to view the colors up close:
It was so pretty we ran ahead...
...and stumbled upon the true highlight of the Painted Hills: Lava Monster III:
Luckily Daddy flew us to safety:
I was a little wary until Miles was also safe:
But soon we were together again:
We took a minute to recoup:

Hey minion, grab your jaguar and stop recouping, we're ready to move on!
Back in the car and ready to head to our next adventure, we flashed the universal nap time signs:
When I woke up, we were back in Bend at Mirror Pond, and I was ready for dinner:
All I needed to do was outrun Lava Monster IV:
Based on all the oohing and awwing I heard after Ryan's post, I think we may focus on him for the next little bit, so it may be a few weeks before I publish part 5 of my VacaSean series.
Till then,
₰
No comments:
Post a Comment
Miles and Sean want to know what you think: