Happy winter solstice.
I always think it's totally awesome that they named 2 days a year after my uncle's company! He must be rich and famous or something!
We'll spend the big day in Seattle, where (as opposed to summer,) only the real men bike in Fremont for today's solstice parade!
This is a total non-sequitor (or segue), but in the spirit of Miles' last post, when I think the beginning of winter, I think camping! I also think that with so little daylight, you all need a super-long mega post to light your homes!
In June, I made my my first ever camping trip (for my 10-month birthday). Here are more photos from our trip:
Miles loved looking through binoculars at everything:
Mom didn't need binoculars, but it looks like her glasses turn Mt. Hood into the Matterhorn:
Even though I was super tall when Daddy carried me, I would have needed binoculars to see the tops of the trees!
And, Mt. Hood was even taller:
I quickly learned that Miles' favorite pastime while camping is throwing rocks in the lake:

Mom and Daddy wouldn't let me throw rocks into the lake, as it was "too dangerous" so instead I spent my days throwing prescription bottles into the fire:
Miles also enjoyed "fishing" (a.k.a., throwing curved sticks into the lake):
A flock of seagulls flew through our campsite while we ate hot dogs and s'mores:
And, yeah, we took a bunch more pictures of the us and the mountain:
I had a lot of fun, and so did Miles:
And Baby Jaguar did too:
We had so much fun, we just had to take Grandma Patty and Pa right back a month later.
The mountain and lake were still there:
Bonus points to anybody who can figure out what's wrong with this picture:
Hint: The lake was really "still" there!
Like any good camper, I got up at the crack of dawn each morning, so Daddy and I took walks to scare off the bears before the other lazy campers awoke.
Of course, that means you get to enjoy a portfolio of poorly-lit, crooked sunrise selfies:
Mom and I took a picture too (unlike those Oxford snobs, she refuses to use the word "selfie"), while Miles and Daddy played in the lake:
Now, extremely attentive readers (I know you're out there) of this blog will recognize this:
It's Daddy's favorite "DIY fishing stick" from my first visit to Lost Lake a year ago. We thought we'd lost it last year after Miles "fished" with it, but Daddy found it 12 months later, in 12 inches of water!
In another blast of nostalgia, we took pictures of the railing again (2012, 2011, 2010):
I think Daddy and my early-morning bear-scare walks worked well, as we didn't see any wildlife the entire weekend! MILES: LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU:
After I saved him with my wildlife-warning, Miles professed his eternal like for me over the public airwaves:
Believe it or not, we took more photos of us and the lake and the mountain, shown here:
And Baby Jaguar too:
While you were looking at all those uncaptioned pictures, I fell asleep in the tent:
What a fun trip. I call shot gun for the trip home!
As any parent of young children knows, camping is far from exhausting, so we went camping again in September. Only this time, we skipped the big mountain and big lake, and instead went for big trees in a big state, by driving down to the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in California.
While I'd heard a lot about California, this is not what I expected! Where was the beach, and Disneyland, and Hollywood, and the sun?
Well, we decided to make-do with what we had.
The Beach:
Kermit's owned by Disney now, right?
We saw some Hollywood stars sunbathing when we drove out of the woods and into the big city (Crescent City, that is), although I really thought George Clooney and John Stamos were hairier than this:

Oh, and we did catch a glimpse of sun here and there:
Miles announced the arrival of the sun over his radio:
Does anybody else remember Kermit's famous commercial? I blame the oversaturation of commercial cartoonish alcoholic imagery for my transgressions:
Where's Joe Camel when you need a wholesome role model?
Go Ducks!
Back on topic...We camped under a HUGE tree (much bigger than those wussy Lost Lake trees):
However, at times I found myself more comfortable in another big trunk:
We explored the entire campground for the biggest tree we could find:
Once we found a huge tree, we impersonated a page from our favorite bedtime book:
This was seriously a huge tree:
"Sean, Look out! There's a HUGE TREE behind you!!!"
Miles helped me get away from it (trees are SO slow!):
The seasoned campers showed me their best camping tips (thanks Pete!):
Miles stayed up late with the grownups around the fire, and slept through the day:
The End
₰
No comments:
Post a Comment
Miles and Sean want to know what you think: